D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Oil consumption

Hello again. I have rebuilt the motor and still in the process of the break-in, but I am still having an issue with oil consumption. Here is what I have done to date:

1: machine shop rebuilt the block and head
2: installed rebuilt IP and Rebuilt injectors
3: timed for elevation
4: timed IP (done by Central Motive Power)
5: rebuilt turbo

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of misted oil is being blown out of the Pressure Control Vave and into the intake pipe (probably contributed to the heavy coking in the turbo). Also, it seems to increase when under a heavy load while climbing hills and mountain roads (this is an 7k lb truck!)

It does seem to smoke way less than before, and I do intend to increase turbo boost since I am at largest oversized pistons and three notch head gasket. Does anyone have any advice for me on this? There are no leaks on the block at all, aside from a slight leak on my power steering high pressure hose.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Supporting Member

From your description (excessive blow-by on newly rebuilt engine), some possible causes are:

1. Cylinders bored out of round or too large for pistons
2. Improper cylinder honing
3. Idling during break-in, especially during initial period
4. Piston ring quality
5. Piston ring install errors

Please describe your break-in process.

Piston/ring brand?

What does the machine shop say?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM

I actually followed the instructions out of the manual, as well as information given to me from The Swedish Brickyard. The pistons are German KS pistons. The only idling during break-in was to allow the engine to warm a little before the tightening of the head bolts the last bit. Of course, the machine shop did not do any boring until after the pistons arrived at their shop. This machine shop has a solid reputation, and build a lot of high horsepower motors. I will stop by there and talk to them about this tomorrow.

I don't have much in the way of smoke, and it is definitely not oil laden. I think that the small amount of smoke I do have is probably due to the fact that the compression was lowered slightly with the thicker, three notch, gasket. I plan on increasing my boost a bit to compensate for that, but I have not gotten the controller or gauge yet (any advice on that?).

As I said in the previous post, or at least alluded to, I was wondering if it could be due to the PCV? A friend of mine has suggested that I delete the PCV, as that was the advice he had gotten from his mechanic, who is a German Master Mechanic from Mercedes Benz.

Phil
Old 11-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Supporting Member

PCV-- are you talking about the hockey puck on top of the valve cover?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Default Pcv

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to describe. As you can tell, I am not a mechanic, lol
Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Supporting Member

Is that really a PCV? I thought it was more of an oil separator.

Run the engine with the oil cap off. Try to see if the smoke billows out or just kind of wafts out. Does it puff like an old steam locomotive?

How many miles/hours since rebuild? Maybe the rings are not seated yet?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Sorry about the delayed reply, but I have been in the last days of the sale of my house. It has been pretty hectic and crazy around here, especially since the closing date was moved up by nine days!

I was told, by the machine shop, that these German rings are super hard and take a while to seat. I have only put on about 2k kilometers since the rebuild, so it may just need more miles. I have been running it like a rental since, minus the first fifty or so miles.

As for the puck, yes, my manual calls it an PCV. I ran it with the hose disconnected, for a while, and it seems to like it better that way. I suppose I can always rig up a "catch can", and just bypass the PCV. Anyone out there done this? I would hate to ruin my turbo, again, by caking on a bunch of misted oil...

When I did run the engine with the hose disconnected, and the port blocked off, the oil misted out in a fine cloud. I am going to be driving my Pinz tomorrow and will check to see what happens with the oil cap off. What does it mean in either scenario, wafting or billowing?

Thanks,
Phil