D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Default I need help

Bought a 82 Volvo D24 non turbo that is in awesome cosmetic condition and almost completely oem under the hood a few months ago. The only problem with it at the time was the AC was not working. After a month of driving it in the hot Texas summer I couldn't take it and drove my other daily driver with AC. Toward the end of driving it, it would often idel rough and die when I came to a stop for longer than 5 seconds, which seemed worse the l emptier my fuel tank was.

Three months pass of it sitting in my driveway. I go to start it and tries to start and just wont turn over. I undo the fuel filter, which is half full! I fill it with diesel and screw it back on and unscrew the six injectors and crank it to try to prime the fuel system. I'm pretty sure its electric fuel injection so multiple cranks and pumping the accelerator until the battery dies, but still no diesel comes out of the injectors.

I had scoured the web to figure out the problem. Thinking it might be the in tank fuel pump failure, I got to it from the trunk. WRONG! There is no in tank pump. I recharged my battery and tried again, still nothing.

My question is...How should I be priming the fuel lines. Is it likely my fuel pump that's out?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM

Vehicle: 740 GL - 120.000 km :)

Hi

Sorry for Bad english I´m from Austria.

Electronic Solenoid Shutoff Valve on the Injection Pump ....

Dont worry, the Same shit is on our Pumps.

Do following to Test this:

Remove the Connector on it.

And now Apply MANUALY Plus 12V from the Battery directly to it. But be Aware, only on the Top of the solenoid (where the cable connector was) Or you have a Short circuit.

You MUST HEAR it "CLICK" when you apply Power.
If it doesn´t "click" - The Valve is still closed, and doesnt allow the Distributor Head to deliver fuel...

(When you switch ignition on, 12V will be provided to this, you can start the car. When you switch ignition off- ELAB (We call it ELEKTRONISCHER ABSTELLER in German) magnetic Valve lets drop a Pin, and Fuel delivery is stopped- The engine goes out

Is this Shutoff Valve Defective
1) Car never starts, because no fuel can be delivered (Pin is still at bottom)
OR
2) You CANNOT Switch of the Car (Pin is above, and could not fall down, due to a mechanical issue... )

Test it, and report please.
And ....: Close the Injection Pipes, and Never touch it again !.

The REason why apply power manually with a Cable, insteed of switch simple the ignition on- are many other Noises that disturb, so you cant hear it "clicking" .

And dont worry about "Priming" Something ... This Type of Injection Pump deliveres about 100 Litres of Fuel in 15 minutes (Mechanical 4 Wing Vane Cell Pump)

Greetings

Last edited by sonny; 03-22-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 AM

Vehicle: 740 GL - 120.000 km :)

Check also your "Fuse Box"..

ELAB Is Fused too (Fuse 1 ?!?!?!)
Possible that it clicks (Is functioning) with the cable test, but does nothing which ignition Power, when the Fuse is Blown
Old 03-22-2015, 07:03 AM

Awesome I'll try that and report back.

I already checked the fuses. Nothing blown.

Any other ideas are welcome.

As soon as I get it up and running. I plan on posting it for sale on here.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Supporting Member

Have you looked at the Hard starting sticky? Specifically the section titled "Air in Fuel Section." Your description sure points to air ingress, especially the half-full fuel filter, starting difficulty after sitting, and the weak/dying idle