D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Not pumping fuel...

Thanks for reading! Its an 84 Volvo 240 Wagon, D24 6 cyl diesel, auto transmission, 150k original miles. It was running great and started up everytime. Smoked a bunch immediately after start up, but would clear up 3 seconds later.

Recently started and moved it to the garage. Replaced the downpipe and nothing else. Sat idle for 10 days. Now it won't start.

Primed from fuel tank to fuel filter. Have been doing air bleeds procedure at all injectors (multiple times) and return line connection. I get BARELY any signs of fuel at the injectors.

Removed the intake line at the fuel filter, dipped the intake into a cup of fuel, and had a friend turn over the engine. Not sucking any fuel whatsoever. Belt, tension and operation look good.

There's a solenoid with a single wire on the driver side of the injection pump. It does get full voltage and click with the key in the "on" position. I assume this is the fuel shutoff ?

There's another solenoid on the passenger side, and towards the top of the injection pump. Its getting battery voltage, but doesn't click etc. What is that thing?

My E30 is sold and being picked up in a day or two. I really need to get this guy running reliable. I have a couple more silly questions...

Is there an electric fuel pump on the tank or underbody?
Is there a fuel pump relay?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What kind of fuel is in it? When bleeding air from the injector hard lines, fuel should come out in nice solid spurts. If it is just foaming and dribbling then you've got a problem. But you already know that.

You are correct that the solenoid on the top is the fuel cutoff. Those almost never fail, very unlikely it is your problem. It should get 12v with the key on. The solenoid on the passenger side of the injector pump is the altitude compensation device. It should be energized when the key is on. Above 3300 feet, a switch opens and current does not get to the solenoid, which causes fueling to be pulled back and advances the timing. You don't want that to happen so keep power to it as you have now. It should click when you turn power to it on and off (unplug spade terminal), so if there is no click then the device is faulty but it will not keep the car from running so don't worry too much about it right now.

There are no electric pumps anywhere, in the tank or under the floor on a diesel Volvo unless someone has added one. Thus no relays, etc either.

My next step would be to get some biodiesel (swells up internal seals in the pump, which can cause it to not function if leaking due to ULSD as many of them now are), then gravity-feed it into the pump inlet. If you have access to a method of force-feeding it (like temporarily install an electric lift pump) to prime the pump, then that may work even better. Once the pump is full of biodiesel, it will begin to work. The engine may be ready to start right away, or it may need to sit for an hour with the biodiesel in it before it regains function. The worst case I have seen was on a TDI that needed to sit for about 12 hours after having its pump filled with gravity-fed B99 and cranked and bled, but after we let it sit overnight it fired right up the next morning.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Owner/admin

I would check the cut off valve for operation. I have seen the plunger missing chunks and being stuck down in the bore. The '83 I just helped get running had that very problem. I would do as George suggested and try and fill the pump with a elec pump or take off the fuel return banjo and fill it from there with a small funnel.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks, I will do as suggested and report back. I'm wondering, is the injection pump rebuildable?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Yes it is.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Does anybody sell a rebuild kit?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM

On Thursday, I'm going to fill the pump with biodiesel as suggested. However, its only 5% biodiesel. Will I need find some higher % biodiesel ?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

B5 biodiesel probably isn't a high enough percentage to have much of an effect on the seals, but filling the pump with any kind of fuel will help to get the air bled out. If the vane pump is full of fuel and you have the line nuts at the injector unions cracked it ought to be able to pick up a prime and start running.

Pumps can be rebuilt but it's not a DIY kind of job. They're not like a carburetor where you can just get a rebuild kit and do it on your workbench -- a lot of major testing and calibration equipment and special tools are required. Best to let a good diesel shop do it if you want it to be done right.

Jason, I had never seen a stop valve come apart like that, interesting to know it can happen. Wonder if the bits got all over the inside of the pump. That's the '83 manual trans car from Texas you're talking about, right? What's its status now?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Owner/admin

Yup its the one my friend dragged up here from Texas. The solenoid was clicking, but the plunger wasn't moving full travel and like I said there were chunks down in there. The inside of the pump was full of black crap like they had run it without a filter. I have never seen so much shit inside a pump. I cleaned it out the best I could and bled the crap out of the system and got it to finnaly start. We were about to take the pump off and have it rebuilt but wanted to make sure the engine ran at all. We had to use an air hammer to get the solenoid off the pump it was siezed in so bad. Its running and being driven around now... It needs a set of injectors pretty bad, some steering work and other misc stuff. Its a project and he's short on funds at the moment so not a whole lot is getting done, but at least its running! One less in the junk yard anyway...

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 AM

I pulled the shutoff solenoid to check operation. It gets 12 volts, but doesn't do anything. The plunger appears to be stuck in the closed position. When I tested it before I thought it was clicking. But it appears to be the other solenoid on the injection pump (somebody said it was the altitude compensator).

The plunger is supposed to move when energized, yes?