D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46
Default Adjusting Pump Timing

Hey All, searched around but can't find a post that deals with the problem I'm having.

I'm in the process of restoring an '85 740 gle with the d24t motor. Right now, I am stuck trying to correctly time the injection pump. My timing was too high, so I slackened the three (I can only find 3, afaik this is correct) bolts and tried to "tilt" the pump outwards. I'm not sure if this should be easy, but the pump feels as if it's completely stuck. Finally using a prybar, I was able to gently rock the pump against the block, and it moved. Now, the timing is far too low, and I don't have any safe surfaces to pry against to try to tilt the pump inwards. What can I try next? The three bolts and mating surfaces have all been soaked with penetrant. I'm leery about getting my torch out near a fuel source, that would normally be my course of action near stuck surfaces. Any ideas? I have also cracked loose the high pressure lines thinking they might be creating some tension on the pump. Thanks in advance.

Adam