D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Default how to wire up starter?

ok, i've cleaned up my junkyard d24t a good bit. now i would like to try to start this thing up while it's on the engine stand. i will make a temporary wiring harness just for the starter and glow plugs, but what is the proper way to wire up the starter? i can post a picture of the starter terminals for someone to draw some red & black lines and label if that will help.

thanks guys.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Its very simple. First thing to remember is that the ground is the case bolted to the engine so the negative cable needs to be bolted or clipped somewhere on the engine case.

There are two contacts on the starter solenoid. Actually three but one will be connected internally to the starter. Lets look at the other two. The big one goes directly to the positive battery source and it will need to be a big cable like a jumper set.

The small contact on the solenoid is the trigger connection and it will need a 12volt positive signal applied momentarily. Normally this is what comes from the ignition key.

Thats all there are. Remember to be very safe with cable connected to a battery. They can make really frightening sparks if you are not careful. Connect the ground last and make sure its not the battery end that you connect last.