D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior

Old 01-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Default EVIL Volvo Wiring

Finally got the car running so I was doing a light check on the turn signals and such. I reached in to flip the turnsignal switch to the left blinker and when I pushed down I killed the car.

What I get now is no dash lights at all, no fuses are blown. I'm sure what ever killed the dash lights killed the voltage to the fuel cut off switch on the pump, but where do I start looking? This all started with the turn signal switch??

Thanks in advance AGAIN.
-Tim
Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

A fuse is blown. Don't ask me which one, but I bet it has one blown and you just missed it. It's a 240 thing. They have strange electrical systems. The 700 chassis cars are much better-designed in that respect.

On my 245 one time I was messing with the wiring to the pump for whatever reason and accidentally shorted the pump solenoid wire out to ground. Just as you describe, this caused all the dash lights, turn sigs, etc to go dead. When I replaced the fuse, there was power to the pump again and all the interior stuff worked. For some dumb reason, Volvo saw fit to tie that stuff together on the same circuit. Go figure.

Check your fuses again... including the fuse holders, which can get corroded (water from leaky windshield seal can get to them) or can lose their grip on the fuse and need to be pinched back together to hold it tighter. Look carefully and try swapping a few around, checking for continuity, etc. I think your problem lies somewhere in there.