D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-09-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Cold start ajustment

hi all
my engine runs a little bit faster than i woud like on cold start up problem about 1100 rpm but soon drops back to about 850 rpm on warm engine i have messed with the nut with the ball end to just the long hex rod before the cold star sends the throttle cable out about 10 mm when cold but goes back to the crimped when engine is hot . i had to do this years ago after i got the car back from diesel engineers after new injectors were fitted . they had not put the cold start set up right and it was getting no advanced tick over when cold .
car fires up 1st time always so shall i leave well alone ,
regards jim
Old 08-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Supporting Member

Factory spec appears to be 750 RPM warm, 950 RPM cold so you are a little off.

You could continue to play with that ball stud on the cold start lever that engages the throttle lever when cold. It is fiddly but what helped me was to scribe a match line centerline on the ball stud that continued to the slotted lever it bolts to. That gave a clear visual indication of where I started from, and how much to move it. The frustrating part is that the ball stud will "walk" in the slot as your are tightening it-- it never wants to stay in the position you desire.

Just a warning: Do Not attempt to adjust by moving the stop block that clamps on the cable itself. That is important not to disturb. Specialized Bosch testing rig is required to reset that.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM

Default cold start

thanks NGOMA
i have played with this slide ball /nut fitting before i may try again i know what you mean by ball /nut wants to walk .