D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-03-2016, 04:56 AM

Vehicle: 740 2.4 TD GLE 1986
Default Two different starters for D24 NA / T?

Hello!

I am about to purchase a new starter for my D24+T.. But there seems to be two different types. Both 12v, 2,2Kw

Apparant there is a specific type for D24-NA (Bosch no: 0 986 018 250) and another for the D24T (Bosch no: 0 986 013 140)

Anyone of you know the difference between the two?

/Dennis from Denmark.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member

There are at least three sizes:
1. Smallest-- Hitachi gear-reduction (factory 1984.5-on)
2. Slightly Larger-- Bosch gear-reduction SR97X
3. Largest-- Bosch direct-drive (factory thru early 1984)

Sorry I don't have P/Ns, but here are some photos of the largest Bosch. This one happens to be an AC-Delco remanufactured Bosch evidently. Weight is ~23 pounds, everything is big about this starter. Tight fit, was a real struggle to push it up into position, and the B+ cable terminal hole had to be enlarged slightly to fit the larger solenoid post. Fit D24T in the 740. Works great!
P1010551.jpg

P1010552.jpg

P1010553.jpg

P1010554.jpg

The Hitachis are nice small lightweight starters but they are more susceptible to burnout, especially from extended cranking. Nobody wants to rebuild them, probably because of parts unavailibility. Most common replacement seems to be the Bosch SR97X which is more durable, slightly larger and heavier.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Thank you, now i understand. I will purchase the large Bosch!

The starter which is fitted now is in poor condition. It do not rotate as fast as normal, and is a bit noisy. So when the temperature is about 0 degrees celsius, then it starts after about 6-8 seconds of cranking. (New battery, glowplugs working). Even if I cycle the glowplugs two times, it cranks for 6-8 seconds. Even while cranking, is it possible hear a significant drop in the starter rpm's. Like it is pulling more current or something.

Dennis
Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

You might open it up and look at the contacts in the solenoid, and the brushes, often the starter can be fixed up, and the aftermarket ones regularly seem to last about a year.
Id rather have an OE with some new parts than a new one from China.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Well, this morning, temp about 3- degrees celsius, on my way to work. The darn' thing would not start. So did some measurements this evening, after charging the battery.

The battery was about fully charged, and I used a "battey tester" to test the battery. Type in the size of the battery, and the thing load-tests the battery. The result was "Passed", and an estimated capacity was at 90%.

After that, I did a test on the alternator. It is the original Bosch 55A, and it produced right about 60 amps, at 14 volts = passed!

Finally this day, I tested how many amps the starter pulls while cranking. The result was surprising, "only" 235 amps. Specs say that max amp while cranking is just about 300 amp on a direct-drive type. BUT! When I did the crank test, suddenly the voltage dropped to just 8 volts (measured at battery connectors).

I think my "new" half-year old battery is playing tricks on me.. It is the same size as one from a gasser.

As far as I know, the Volvo 700/900's came with two battery sizes. The gasser type, and "small truck" one = almost twice the size. Is it possible my 740 is fitted with the wrong starter? I mean if it's possible that the vehicles with gasser a battery, is supposed to be fitted with a gear-reduction starter? And the ones with the larger battery is fitted with the direct-drive type? The gear-reduction is supposed to pull about half the amps as the direct-drive. Just a thought...

Then I think mine has the wrong combo: Large direct-drive and gasser battery!

Which model of battery are your US volvo's equipped with?

Dennis
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Whatever random battery I stick in there.

That's a pretty common battery/ tester failure when the battery is suffering reduced capacity and high resting voltage, the tester doesn't actually load it down that much, then extrapolates from how much it did drop. Zap it 2x in a row , or hit is with a real 300A carbon pile tester, and it will fail.

The high resting voltage then fools the alternator , which undercharges the battery, weakening it further in a vicious cycle.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo-dennis View Post
Which model of battery are your US volvo's equipped with?
Not sure what it came with but I have been well-served by good quality H8 series battery. They are high capacity, correct dimensions and terminal orientation, and readily available because they are used in many modern luxury sports cars (BMW X5 AWD, Jaguar S-Type, Audi A8 Quattro, Audi A6 Quattro, Volvo XC90 AWD).
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Problem is solved. I changed the battery, and now it works as it should. The engine fires up almost immediately, even in 6- degrees celsius.

These old diesel engines really need sufficient starter-cranking-rpm!