D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

diesel has a bushing on the end of the input shaft to fit the larger diesel pilot bearing. If you have M90 there it is supposed to be much better, but for the cost of shipping one here, you can break a few M46s.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 PM

In latvia we have about -20C in my city. And my diesel wont run in the morning, changed all the glowplugs, but nothing changed, glowplugs are working
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You are sure your fuel isn't gelling? That's cold enough that if it's not winterized, that could be part of the problem...

How about injection timing? Is it smoking and trying, or nothing at all? How's the battery and other starting bits -- does it crank quickly or slow? What kind of oil is in it?

-20C is pretty cold! = about -4F... At that temp, especially if the motor doesn't have "new" compression anymore, it will probably need every bit of help it can get to start. If you're sure you have liquid fuel and a good glow plug in every cylinder, then it comes down to cranking speed and timing. Might start by cleaning all your + and - connections, checking battery condition, and trying some slippery diesel-rated synthetic oil if you don't already have it -- 5W30 or even 0W40. Getting it to spin faster can make up for other deficiencies.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default suspiciously `cold :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
it will probably need every bit of help it can get to start
Such a correct,helpful advice on every little (important) detail! -20C is no joke, btw

It is always a lovely, heart-warmer thing when a well adjusted engine simply `explodes to life` without `hesitation`! No matter how cold it is.

I truly appreciate how nicely mine is put together with the right combination of passion&experience!!! Million thanks

Just to compare things, I made a video, it might help some to observe a problem(s) you have with cold-starting.
Here it is only -14Celsius now (6.8 Fahrenheit) (even colder in the mornings) but it is cold enough to make my idiot ignition wiring to behave stupid. When temps drop to sub zero (especially when under -5C), some (old) wires harden so starting gets tricky: I have to jiggle&twist a bit, one of the connections, near/behind the ignition switch.
I live with it as a Winter issue but my next little project is to get a new(er) ign switch and illuminate all this. Finding time for it is the hard part.

In the video you will see+hear my idiot wiring thing, but most importantly you`ll see that no cranking was needed at all to get the motor started. After two days, between -10-18C, very windy too. It`s pretty cold, so 15mins of idling at 1000RPM didn`t produce any interior heat at all. I `hit` the starter and immediately the car runs. I played some with the timing advance switch too, in order to hear RPM differences. Someone on the Forum said it before: `it sounds like car`s eating a bag of rocks` )

Obviously I do NOT use biodiesel this time of the year AND I have synthetic engine oil (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...uck_5W-40.aspx)
AND I have a strong battery, no air in fuel and all plugs work as they should AND there`s some compression left, I guess

Sorry about background noises in the video. Phone probably couldn`t handle the vibration, so motor mount is next. :`)
PS.: do not completely rule out a wiring issue. PS 2: starting fluid?--> no lubrication!+torturing glow plugs

Here`s the link to the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuTj...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Second thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukiits View Post
In latvia we have about -20C in my city. And my diesel wont run in the morning, changed all the glowplugs, but nothing changed, glowplugs are working
Oh, too many of these cars sadly became left behind, thanks to a neglected fuel filter. yes, just talk to workers of junkyards. But I believe you must have tried a very fresh fuel filter before blaming&touching the plugs...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 PM

Fuel filter i changed before winter, maybe thats the problem ? Glow plugs are new ngk , and the wiring is good. BAttery i changed before two months , but in morning when i went to car it sounds it will broom, but 5 seconds and the starter get slow. Oil change maybe need By the way -25C tonight
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM

A crowd of people wouldn`t use NGK.
Buy Bosch!

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-25-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I might only see -2C 5 nights a year, but those nights are always the worst on batteries...

I ran the cheapest Chinese glow plugs from Prothe for over a year, and they still worked fine when I replaced them with Bosch.

if your cranking speed suddenly dropped, it probably isn't the plugs. All battery terminal connections will be suspect though.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 AM

Default 1 factor might be ok...

...because your car is very well adjusted

In my opinion, junkie plugs though, combined with a weak battery is the good old recipe for morning-time sadness. Especially at -25Celsius! (-13F)

Generally speaking, it`s not worth saving or experimenting on something that could easily lead to future headaches... A Bosch plug costs $10-18? which is $60-100 for a full set of 6 plugs, proper type, great quality; ... all this to avoid taking blood pressure medication after speaking with the diesel shop. $$$

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-26-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 AM

okay problem solved, i bought additive for diesel and the problem is solved, now i want to change the gearbox
But i dont figure out the difference between m46 and m90. what else needs to change ?