D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 740 GL - 120.000 km :)
Default Boost Controller Installation ...(Not more than 1 Bar)

Hi

Please look at this Picture

Which one of this Hoses (smaller or bigger diameter) cames the T Piece with the Boost Controller ...

Reason of my question is, i had installed it on the Hose with bigger Diameter on Turbo...
BUT: If i open the boost Controller 90% (that means the same as i Cut of the Pipe), The Turbo Pressure maximum is 1,0 Bar ...

Normally the Turbo musst Press till the engine explodes (Don´t worry, just want to test it)

The "Dump VALVE" at the front of the Inlet manyfold doesn´t exist anymore (Replaced it with a Plumb Rubber Cap...)

I think there is no lost of pressure...

When i had installed the Boost Controller right (I think it is, when i close the controller- Stock setup, the TurboCharger presses 0,7 Bar- which means Factory default...) does anybody know what the Thinner Hose at the Wastegate (Turbo) is for ?

Greetings

Connected So: - on the Bigger Hose. The smaller Hose was untouched.

Last edited by sonny; 04-07-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You have it installed right.

The smaller lower hose is just an oil drain from the WG actuator canister, you don't need or want to do anything with it (except fix it if it's leaking since it can make a mess).

What happens if you just crimp the larger hose with a pair of locking pliers? If you still can't build boost you may need to look for an exhaust restriction, fuel restriction, turbo issue, etc. Your stock turbo may not gain you much real HP beyond 1 bar, especially if you don't have an IC (do you?), but it should at least be able to crank the gauge pressure up higher than that with no WG...
Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

What I found was that wastegate has some air bleed around the 'valve stem' to cool the mechanism. what this meant was i had to create a leak in the seat of my boost controller ball to allow that amount of air through all the time.

but mine was an inline ball and spring type without the 'vent'.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi V8.

OK when i crimp the hose, its the same when i full open the Boost Controller.

The Wastegate doesn´t open the Bypass, and the charger must Press what he can...

I dont have a IC Yet.

Fuel Restriction: I had the Full Load Screw 1/8 revolution turned in, and the LDA (Thats the Diaphragm on the top of the IJP- " Ladedruckabhängiger Vollastanschlag - we say to it "Turbo Pressure depending Full Load Adjustment" for you - (When boost is pressing the diaphragm down, IJP delivers more fuel) I also increased a little bit.

The Car smokes as hell. (But smoke like a "normal" diesel when driving original Settings) IJP (Injectionpump) Timing is OK.
Okay, my engine had only 120.000 km´s on it... "She" is very sensible about wrong Fuel Adjustments...(Tested it already) (Other Diesel engines Turbo press 1 Bar, Full Load + 1/8 - 1/4 revolution in- and drive very good), but D24 seems getting fired when you change anything about fuelling... (smokes as hell)

What i Must do : Nozzle Holder Assembly, Think the aren´t Okay anymore...(Getting Old ...)

Tomorrow i will try to open the Boost controller Full, and look what is happening.
I also will ensure, that the engine is doenst running out of Fuel.

Lets test and see...
Old 04-07-2015, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

is your controller a ball and spring, or an adjustable bleed?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 AM

Hi

Adjustable, normal.

Currently fully Opened, Turbo press: 1 Bar .
But i Think Pressure Loss, on my news Hose (Turbo to inlet manifold) (Leaking some Oil there... so that means Pressure is lost here...)

I will check today