D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 AM

Vehicle: 945 d24tic
Default Can't rev over 2500-3000rpm max

First of all hello! Im new to this forum but I've read some useful tips about my problem but the thread owner stopped posting about it.

I just changed IP on my 945 tdic, since the last one stopped delivering diesel. The new pump worked very well After I changed the rear "seal" on the shaft. Also changed the o-ring on the "accelerator pin" it worked after that too so I drove it for 1 day to work. Then I started it to drive home, and then it didn't rev past 3000rpm max! But it started instantly. I got all the way home. Then I filled the pump with ATF oil and let it sit for 2 whole days. I started it and it ran fine just as before. Drove it to work and now the problem is back...

What should I do?
Planing to change the on/off thingy (magnet ventil on swedish)

Sorry for my possibly janky English and lack of vocabulary.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:33 AM

UPPDATE!

Just drove Home with the car acting up. Went quite slow at 2500rpm.. but then suddenly I felt the car gain more power so I stepped on the gas and all of a sudden it went over 3k and started going like normal again.. wierd! I'm home now so I'll let it sit for an hour or two and then try to go for at drive again.

Thinking that I maybe should put in some two-stroke oil in my tank for some extra lubrication?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

I was going to say clogged fuel filter because that was the cause of most of any sudden no-rev or low power problems I have encountered in the past, but they never spontaneously solved themselves like in your situation.

Is it temperature related?

Doubt adding 2-stroke oil to the tank will solve this for you.

The fuel shutoff solenoid rarely fails so try some easier things first.

Splice in a section of clear fuel hose in the return line from the IP to watch for air bubbles. That may give you a clue that air is entering the fuel supply, which can limit revs and power.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
I was going to say clogged fuel filter because that was the cause of most of any sudden no-rev or low power problems I have encountered in the past, but they never spontaneously solved themselves like in your situation.

Is it temperature related?

Doubt adding 2-stroke oil to the tank will solve this for you.

The fuel shutoff solenoid rarely fails so try some easier things first.

Splice in a section of clear fuel hose in the return line from the IP to watch for air bubbles. That may give you a clue that air is entering the fuel supply, which can limit revs and power.
Sorry should have typed that, filter is brand new.
Okay, I thought maybe that it would lube up the fuel n pump a little since it seemd to work with Atf oil when I tried that.

Don't think it has anything with the temperature to do. I have a external water temp and it sticks around 80-95c all year around normally

I'll try the clear fuel return line!

Last edited by Lofgren__; 09-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Air

I had similar issues...it was really annoying to drive under 3000rpm. To fix it, I first installed a new fuel filter but in my case in fact the issue was caused by leaky injector return lines (air made it into the fuel system).
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
I had similar issues...it was really annoying to drive under 3000rpm. To fix it, I first installed a new fuel filter but in my case in fact the issue was caused by leaky injector return lines (air made it into the fuel system).

They do leak a bit actually. Should change them then.
Although I've hade leaky return lines on several of my cars before and it have never been a problem. But I'll change them or just shorten them a little util I get new lines. You can't buy that tiny dieselhoeses in store in sweden

When Ive fixed this I'll sell the car.. starting to get hard to get ahold of parts for d24 engines in Sweden. Especially turbo specific parts
Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Return lines are inexpensive, available online for about $12 for the entire set. Also they are easy to substitute.

In my case it was not the return lines only but the problem was that the injector nipples got loose bc when i replaced and torqued the injectors the improper tool bent them and slightly pushed them into the injector itself. 4 of my 6 injectors were leaky then ad I experienced power loss and max revs at about 2500-2800. Other than that it started well (bc of electric pump in the tank) and ran fine.

There are several places where air can get in. Check filter area, return line joint where it reaches pump, banjos, clear hose etc.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Return lines are inexpensive, available online for about $12 for the entire set. Also they are easy to substitute.

In my case it was not the return lines only but the problem was that the injector nipples got loose bc when i replaced and torqued the injectors the improper tool bent them and slightly pushed them into the injector itself. 4 of my 6 injectors were leaky then ad I experienced power loss and max revs at about 2500-2800. Other than that it started well (bc of electric pump in the tank) and ran fine.

There are several places where air can get in. Check filter area, return line joint where it reaches pump, banjos, clear hose etc.
I'll check for more airleaks today!
Old 09-22-2018, 12:42 AM

Could it have something with the egr och turbo to do?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Supporting Member

Forum Member volvo-dennis recently had a problem where a broken turbo wastegate was limiting boost, therefore power. Probably wouldn't limit the ability to rev.

http://www2.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1847