View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Except for those of us that drive 3000 miles every month and a half ... I drive from Eugene to Portland and back just about every weekend. $100 is quite a lot to have to spend every 2 months or so. I'm at 3300 miles on this change so far and I'm hoping I can just afford an oil change before January when I get my next installment of money from school..
I don't quite get it. Why would you need to change that stuff in only 2 months if you are only driving 6000 miles? You'd be throwing away perfectly good oil. Unlike Mobil 1, this stuff is actually RATED for 25000 miles in a diesel and if using the Amsoil filter, it's rated for the same . They have recently been forced to downgrade change intervals for diesels across the board, but these new low figures do not apply to our older engines, this is only due to these newfangled modern computer controlled diesels that are having a bad problem with fuel dilution . They've been finding that all that fancy multiple firing per stroke has been leading to a lot of unburnt fuel finding it's way past rings and it's leading to premature lubricant wasting due to fuel dilution , but that has nothing to do with our old beasts, the old 25000 mile change interval still applies. That would get you about 8 months on a change, and if you installed a bypass filter on it, you could leave the same stuff in there for years, just send a sample in once a year for testing to make sure everythings OK.