Thread: D24T bad sounds
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Today is going to be the day of a test drive! 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
that sounds like an injector that may have something stuck in it. The stinky smell of partially burnt diesel is quite distinct.
YES I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITHIN INJECTOR #6. YESTERDAY NIGHT I TOOK IT OUT, INSTALLED A KNOWN GOOD CONDITION USED INJECTOR (with a new seal, then torqued to specs, of course). The bad smell disappeared because the mysterious "foggy" smoke disappeared.

Quote:
Just a screwdriver resting on its body will tell you if it is that. A sound of a tight valve may produce a different sound.
YES, I TOOK THE TIMING TOOLS PLUS THE STETHOSCOPE WITH ME BUT BY THE TIME I ARRIVED TO WHERE THE CAR WAS PARKED, I WAS EXCITED TO Cold-START IT UP AND HEAR THE INJECTORS, THAT I ENDED UP FORGETTING THE EXTRA TOOLS IN THE SADDLEBAG OF MY MCYCLE. I could have originally used it to determine which injector went bad, though I already had some idea, because manually letting air into #6 did stop the knocking (while letting air into any other inj of the five, did not stop the knocking/ticking/slapping/hammering sound).

Quote:
It could be a carryover from #5, and hopefully it can be dismantled and backflushed. Substituting may work. Its better than running it like that.
I THOUGHT I WOULD SWAP THE USED INJECTOR IN AND LEAVE THE 5 OTHER GTD INJECTORS IN PLACE (to finish the repair faster AND to exclude other issue that may pop up while dealing with all of the injectors, their sealing washers, possible carbon build-up, torque specs, all of hard pipes, etc etc and all of those in dark and late at night). So now i temporarily have the 5 new gtd+1 used injector (with a stock-setup nozzle) combo. I will inspect and take apart the failed injector to diagnose the clog or any mechanical problem (if any).
So far, all I see is that the nozzle is not well centered, misaligned within the injector housing itself. BTW, the sealing washer looked evenly "crushed" by the factory torque. So at this point idk what may have happened to the nozzle itself. I may later find a piece of JBweld (sent from inj #5) or a broken spring (in inj #6) etc.

Quote:
As for the pump situation? I haven't got a clue, but putting a non turbo pump on a turbo will probably just flatten the car unless you plan on driving it wherever very gingerly.
HERE I MEANT THE VACUUM PUMP AND I WANTED TO KNOW SWAP IDEAS (THE TYPICAL D24/D24T FITMENT OPTIONS).

Thanks for reading and all comments. Keep dieseling!
Special thanks to PO making this roadside project easier, by leaning the injection pump away from injectors #5-6. It does make a huge difference. ����

After installing the used injector , knocking went away. I'll update the thread after driving the car home. but now I have to make a decision...buy a 170bar gtd injector or get a new set of injectors fully rebuilt and with stock nozzles. Grrrr $$ or have one of my four sets rebuilt.

I'll attach a few pictures...but... I know that the www.d24t.com system reduces their quality.

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-07-2018 at 12:34 PM.