View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yes, I had DFIS in Portland rebuild a D24T pump for me several years ago that has been a lemon ever since -- runs fine but I had to replace advance piston cover gaskets on it within the first 15 months (both sides at different times -- including the inner side, which is a pain!), and then just last fall the shaft seal sprung a large leak for no visible reason so I had to change that as well. Now have about 40,000 miles on it in ~4 years and have had it off the motor at least twice since it was overhauled -- not fun!

I have had DFIS rebuild many TDI pumps and a number of other older VE pumps over the years and this was the first and only one of theirs I have ever had a problem with, so I I suspect they may have just gotten unlucky with some old or subpar parts when they put this one together. I don't think it was their fault. I still hold them in high regard and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Another option for a really good rebuild on a mechanical VE, I would recommend Central Motive Power in Denver, CO. A former colleague of mine is their senior fuel shop tech, a guy with a lot of skill who actually enjoys building VE pumps (most techs don't!) and knows how to get the extra cold start bits, etc on a D24T pump right (most techs don't!). Just make sure you tell them to build your pump to sea level spec if you send it to them, since most of the work they do is for customers in the Rocky Mountain area and they usually set the pumps up accordingly.

Nevertheless, I'm also curious, why do you think it needs rebuilt? Rebuilds are expensive ($600-800) and in truth, are very rarely necessary, usually only in the case of abnormal abuse/damage.

What are your symptoms?

Last edited by v8volvo; 04-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.