View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
In a reply on my "Ebay radiator" post, 745turbogreasel said to us 1/4 box of Cascade dishwashing detergent to clean out the radiator.
I already flushed about 10 times with laundry soap, and it now drains clear... but it seems to mysteriously still run warmer than before! It's a 11 month old Nissens radiator. I'm going to try removing it from the car, and soaking internally with purple degreaser as commonly done with Volvo intercoolers. I'll also be cleaning out a used mid-90s Volvo intercooler to install at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
I'm thinking if this engine can pull a Pinzgauer it can handle the boat.
Any idea what those things weigh? I'd imagine the Pinz has lower gears and a vastly superior cooling system. I've come to the conclusion that the D24T Volvo cooling system is crappy for some reason, because it runs much hotter uphill yet makes much less horsepower than the Volvo red block engines in the same car. Maybe the red blocks flow water at a higher rate or something. Even with a brand new radiator, tropical fan clutch, new thermostat, and cast iron water pump I can hit 116C uphill with my D24T. A stock red block turbo making 50% more horsepower with a smaller radiator and a less efficient engine would never get over 100C under the same conditions. The same tropical fan clutch also kicks in at much lower temps on the red block despite the same thermostat opening temps, suggesting much better heat transfer to the radiator in the red block.

Last edited by casioqv; 07-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.