View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: '84 245 d24

Ok, so we are back at the shop today, addressing this beast...

Quote:
"What repair manual were you following for installing the pump, the Volvo green manual or something different? What exact steps did the mechanics take to set the injection timing -- was it all "by feel" or visual?

I spoke to the diesel guy. He told me that he didn't get as far as timing the pump. It was running but it was running really rough. There WAS NO THROTTLE CONTROL. Because of that he didn't go much further into timing it.

Quote:
The tools you need are readily available to buy for under $50: here is a good-quality ZDMak set for $49 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tools-Bosc..._Tools&vxp=mtr Or, there are several members on this forum, myself included, who will be happy to loan you their set for free (with deposit in my case).

So I've purchased the above from ebay... but it seems that the shaft is too short?? Seriously could be operator error, lol, but we can't seem to figure it out. I swear we aren't nitwits, I promise. I've printed the greenbook section on timing from k-jet.org and the dial in the pictures appears to have a much longer shaft. How long is yours?? (lol, this is kinda a funny conversation).

Quote:
The problems you're describing could possibly be due to an internal injection pump problem, sticking throttle control can result from that, I have seen it once or twice on pumps that sat "uncorked" for a long time where old fuel exposed to air turned into gum. (How long ago was this IP removed from a good-running motor?)

Just spoke to the shop from where I purchased. It was pulled out of a running vehicle about 18-20 months ago (because vehicle was being converted to WVO). It sat for about a year. The shop picked it up, cleaned it with "diesel clean" (??), sat for 6 months, at which time I purchased it. Upon installation, the pump was primed until fuel was flowing through the lines.

Quote:
Did you remember what we mentioned about the "in" and "out" banjo bolts for the fuel supply and return? If these are reversed, inability to increase engine speed above idle and excessive smoke are the typical effects, so check this again carefully.
How recent is your fuel filter? Any air in the translucent fuel line from the filter to the IP inlet when the motor is running?

Because of the above suggestions, In and out banjo bolts were double checked and fuel filter was replaced because we recently purchased this wagon and don't know when it was last replaced.

Quote:
This engine will not run well if it is not timed correctly. To time it correctly requires the proper (specialty) tools, and following the correct method in the correct order. NO CHEATING! Unless you are lucky.

So let's approach this like a science problem, take a step at a time, observe, note the results, and report back.

So this is where we are now; the proper tools, the greenbook "how-to", all amped and ready to go!!! but....the short shaft of the dial?

Last edited by CapnSass; 04-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.