View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Red face well oiled

hi again
there are some interesting points here, perhaps i can add some more. I dont think that anyone is questioning your findings of your oil analysis carioqv, but perhaps your application of them. The trouble is that your results are unique to your own car and operating conditions and yet you appear to apply them carte blanche to all.
There are other factors involved such as operating in dust laden environments, being laid up under damp conditions causing water absorbtion, high fuel sulphur levels, driving styles etc. These will contaminate the oil.
As you correctly state, the oil filter cant do much about normal engine wear particles, but the above conditions will have an adverse affect on its service life. ( incidently autodata suggests 10k for an oil service on a '93 volvo 940 D24T )
I do around a dozen oil changes a week in the course of my business and cannot recommend anything other than the manufacturers service schedule - this is also the stance of all the leading brands as far as i know, the reason for this is that without a proper oil analysis survey for each individual car it would effectively be guesswork based on someone elses individual findings ( and proffesional suicide on my part )
Dont get me wrong mate, i admire your enthusiasm and diligance in this subject, not to mention the interest it brings to the forum, but few people have the time, inclination or ability to carry out these tests and these are the people that the manufacturers must protect.
If in doubt folks, stick to the book and change that oil (along with the rest of the service schedule ) and if you think that your poor car is suffering from the abuse your giving it , follow your gut feelings and just do it when you think it needs it.
That may not be the perfect solution but it will always be the safest. Brian