Thread: m46 vs ZF
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Thanks for sharing. The rear end was changed, the PO said it was an identical unit, but my feeling is that it's not. I still have to record rpms and gps speed (since speedo reads too high, which is another clue that it is wrong rear axle) to calculate rear reduction. My research shows that the 3.31 came in the b28s, I didn't realize it was in the d24s as well. Either way, seems like I may be hard to find one. The car came with the original rear end, but the PO said he hit a curb (??) and thought it was bad, I'll have to look into checking that out for damage. I have 195/60s in the back, I don't think it's made much of a difference but that may have close rolling diameter to the 185/70s.

The m46 is also clunky between 1st and second (intermittently) and has a little crunch going into reverse (more often than not). Not sure if this is indicative of wear, or linkages can/need to be adjusted. The PO put a new clutch in, not sure if improper installation could result in car sometimes being hard to put into gear. Clutch grabs nice and high.