View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: VW LT28D

Hello. Thanks again for the reply and advice.

I actually followed my assumptions and have put it all back together and retimed the IP too. All seems to run like before and it didn't blow up on the test run ; ) which is always a plus

I think the new WP was just a standard replacement. I don't intend to do it again any time soon but a part number for the 5 pot audi WP would be useful, in case the memory of this job fades and i decide to do it again : )

Anyway, It didn't over over-heat but it still ran hot. I still need to get an IR thermomenter as I do appreciate this will help greatly with diagnosis. All pipes get hot except the large feed pipe from the rad to the thermostat. However, the top of the rad did get hot after a 10 min drive (which it didn't seem to before). This drive might not have been enough for total running temp but the gauge went way past the middle of the gauge, which is assume is around 90 degs (the middle, not where the needle pointed)

However, the part of the rad that was hot was the top right (looking from the front of the van) which is the opposite side from the feed and above the return at the bottom, which was cold.

I'm going to put some cooling system flush though shortly and give it a better run, then drain this and renew all of the coolant.

I'll let you know how i get on.

ps. Just something I noticed whilst timing the IP - the sprockets on the end of the IP and cam are the same but the cam one is the opposite way round, so the lip is on the inside, towards the engine. Is this right? Seems to run OK but also seems odd that it's not it's own part?

Thanks very much again for your wonderful help and insights.