View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Default More info

I don't think it's getting hot enough to boil over before it shuts down. It doesn't stutter or sound any different, but it definitely losing power, big time. We never experienced any of those signs of a typically overheated engine, i.e steam, frying sounds.

As for trying to start it right back up, I'll have to check with the mechanic and get back to you. We got it to start alright once after dying, but then later on another occasion it had to rest a few minutes (though this could have owing to a low battery, loose alternator belt, etc.)

For the three years before the problem started it was never run low either on oil or water, and never had stopleak applied. Half the valves needed thicker shims, but the car was running fine before that was done.

It's worth mentioning that the mechanic told me it's dying sooner now, less than a half mile down the road and so before it gets hot. Considering how neatly it would seem to fit the symptoms, would him getting a false negative from head gasket tests be possible? If the car was tested only while idling, could that mask the gasket being a bust?

Any suggestions on what I should have the mechanic check out or do to the car would be much appreciated. It's been there for two months, and I'm looking forward to solving the mystery and getting the machine out on the road.

Thanks again in advance