View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default oh again. $10 filter risking the pump.

Reading your initial post, my very first thought was: I would ask you about that diesel filter...!!! It is highly suggested to keep a new one in the trunk, always (big trips must have it).

A clogged or clogging diesel fuel filter is the BEST recipe for failure sooner or later. It is not the question of `IF` but `WHEN`. Driving my car I could feel when the filter isnt in best shape any more... I know it sounds totally crazy but i do feel something that is similar to limited fueling, plus i get extra smoke and slightly less power, sometimes followed by taking a little more time to reach certain speeds (im talking about 65-70-80mph, nothing at the slow speeds).

Did your car develop your problem slowly or did it come suddenly?

Please make sure you have a brand new one, never ever* fill it up using the fuel that came out of the old filter. Use any Dexron3 (DexronIII) type ATF fluid again, or Lubro-Moly diesel PURGE. It cleans out your system (pump,injectors) if it isn`t too late (if not super-clogged up ).

If injectors are out again, you *may* check compression by a Tester, available at H@rborFreight for around $30 (best results come with adjusted valves so dont even start a new project ).
Best bet for now (step1) to try running your car using a brand new good quality (bosch, mann, wix ?) filter, idling the car from a jar or can, set up both fuel lines into that can, making sure the filter is installed ALSO, while letting the engine run from that jar for as long as the fluid (diesel purge or atf) disappears... save some hassle: dont let air get in at the end)

Your injectors and the pump itself may thank you for doing it but it may be too late if IP is tired or has some internal damage from receiving contaminated fuels in the past.
Rational/logic diesel thinking will help you out to decide what to begin with, and if your issue isnt about a bad pump or dead injectors, the car can get back to normal pretty effortlessly and cheaply.

Luckily in these cars there is plenty of room under the hood for a fuel container so make sure you keep both eyes on the fuel quality first.

Rechecking the new filter is another thing I`d do, since they can and will get dirty very very soon IF fuel is bad.
Idk how it was half full only when you removed it. Check ALL fuel lines, joints, clamps (if any), it wont help you if air is introduced into the system anywhere from/between tank to filter to ip to injectors, anywhere.

PS. This has been posted several times on this forum, but, also check there where the filter goes, remove crap, if any, you may find an o-ring left there from the previous filter. :`) That happens...

All this advice is Zero specific help, I know, very basic but it is always useful to recheck all things, starting from the simplest problem, going towards the more complex (and more expensive).

I agree with the ones above, on Tom, but dont make him too busy as I`d love to get pumps fixed as soon as I hunt some cash OR hit megamillions.:~)

I hope you will post again, then share videos of the `door-stop` running smooth very soon.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-21-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: another thought