View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 AM

Default Not so much dead but not right at all

Hi everyone
I've been using my 1990 d24t powered 740 estate for a while now and its suddenly developed a odd problem
It appears to be running on 5 cylinders at idle and down on power after around 3500 rpm at all temp ranges
Stuff I've checked is
Coolant level OK and not over pressurised
No evident signs of head gasket blowing out the side
Oil level OK
Cold start disabled
Pump and timing belt seem correct tension
Boost pressure at 10 psi spools at around 2-2.5k
Decent fresh diesel in tank
I was thinking its got to be an injector so I got quoted 150 quid for all six delivered but I'm a cheap skate and was wondering if there is a cheaper way to repair it as I'm more of a spend less do more myself kinda guy,or if anyone has six injectors they fancy parting with for a few sheckles. plus where do I get the injector to head seals/heat shields keep getting fobbed off by the local motor factors or can they be reused for testing purposes I take it id see ex gas and diesel if they leak.
I also had a mad Idea and was wondering if I make a flexible fuel line with a pressure gauge mid line could I pop test the injectors in situe with the thing running figured it would be a cheap 5000psi gauge tee fitting and some small bore hydrolic pipe bolted to pump into tee with gauge then onto injector
Sorry for ranting
Any help is greatly appreciated
Kind regards
Eddie