View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sounds like you're making some progress!

No worries about using an aftermarket gasket for the pan, they are just a simple flat paper gasket. The Elwis and Reinz gaskets I've used before always come as a 2-piece gasket with edges that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I use a bit of sealant on both sides around where the two halves meet to ensure sealing there, and also at the joints where the front cover/oil pump housing meets the block and at the rear where the rear main seal carrier bolts on... my favorite is TDI oil pan sealant (gray Reinzosil) but likely anything you have will do just fine. Bolts just need to be tight enough all around to squeeze the gasket and not too tight so as to pinch it, and be uniform... the "calibrated wrist" method works fine.

Pan gasket is the same for D24 and D24T and I don't think the early motors have any difference vs the late, though a call to the Volvo dealer would no doubt clear that up if there's any doubt.

I think I've found some square section O-rings on some dipstick tubes when I've taken them out so that may be what was originally used there. Anything that will fit and seal up is fine of course. Think I used a couple last time I had one out, and maybe a little bit of sealer too.

What are your eventual plans for this beast?