Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Cool Ignition switch rehab

Image02062013201005.jpg

Image02062013201155.jpg

Image02072013021832.jpg

Image02072013133547.jpg

IMG_9017.jpgGood thinking.

Let me share with you how my ignition switch went kR/\zY … & how it came back to life.
First of all, let`s start with the lesson itself: When detailing your car, it`s highly suggested to be cheap with the liquid interior cleaners around your Volvo`s ignition switch area. Ask me how I learned not to use too much `ArmorAll`! After a few weeks of intermittent electric gremlins, after many angry words; finally, in the middle of my Florida vacation (in a nasty and dark bsmt parking lot of a motel in Daytona Beach), my ignition switch`s stupid games reached the highest and I got stuck right there. That time I did not know what was going on. The car did not want to start, I mean, my ignition switch did not work anymore and my dash lights did not come up at all, except for the sealtbelt warning light. It had happened before but a wiggle-jiggle with the key always helped. No more. `OK`, let`s see all fuses, check wires & do your best. I still couldn`t figure out why the car was playing this not-so-funny game. I inspected & cleaned all connections I could find but no luck. The car was warm, cranked strongly but did not want to start, of course… I checked/reconnected battery terminals, glowplug relay, fuses, wires, even removed and cleaned all ground locations on&around the engine. The car is very reliable and drove thousands of miles without ANY issues… Only some minor electric problem I suspected but could not find it and gave up. I decided to hotwire the car somehow… Luckily my best Volvo-friend, George, found the solution… after he looked at the wiring diagram he helped me out through the phone. The electric part of the ignition switch had to be removed and new connections fabricated to start the car like I was stealing it. I had extra wires with me, a Voltmeter & all tools, luckily. I was told to cut many pieces of 8-10inch long wires and follow his instructions to connect them in a special way&order (long story!)One wire was left hanging there, that was used to start the car and then it must be disconnected. Just like in the movies. And the car did start! What a happy moment! I was very glad to hear it running again after so many hours of brainstorming. From now on, the key was only used to not let the steering wheel lock itself when driving. The car had to be started by a piece of wire for many days.
I visited the Volvo stealership to buy a new ign switch but I was told that it would take 2-3days and $157 to get the switch. What?! (IPD $111)
I took the ignition switch apart and was horrified to see the inside of it. Some oily, sticky, honey-like residue covering it all. I had the full heat on for days so I cooked that thing. I had to completely take it apart and soak all its little parts in grease remover (except for the plastic part). When thoroughly cleaned and dried, I used some lubricant on the spring and put everything back together, installed it in the car and since then it has been working fine. I do remember by now that in Yellowstone NP, the multiple-day snowstorm froze all my locks (and fingers ) and it was hard to get in the car so I used WD40 in the rear gate lock and also on the passenger side door. Some WD40 surely got into the ignition switch as well (from the key). Also some of the spray-type dashboard-cleaner, I guess. It was a painful but effective lesson. I will keep the ready-made wire-junction as a reminder/souvenir from FL. Take it easy with cleaning supplies! 

Last edited by RedArrow; 03-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.