View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Default Glow plug wiring: Not getting enough amps to starter solenoid

THis is regarding my 240 d24t engine swap. I just started it yesterday for the first time and it is running nicely. However, in order to start it we (me and Wren) had to bypass the stock ign. switch wire with a jumper from the battery to solenoid. According to my green book diagram, I had wired the solenoid wire directly with the wire that inputs to the GP relay. so that it gets the starter signal to cycle the plugs during starting. I tapped into the wire before it reached the solenoid.

This morning, when I checked voltage at the solenoid wire, and it was around 10 volts with the GP relay wire connected. When I disconnected the GP relay wire, the voltage was back up to 12.10 or something. So, it seems that the ign. switch is working, but the relay is drawing enough on the circuit that it is reducing the voltage at the solenoid, and the solenoid won't engage. All the lights dim when I try and start it, which tells me some significant current is being drawn, but the solenoid is not even clicking. DOn't think wiring the GP relay wire directly to the solenoid would help, but who knows? IN fact, when I put my multimeter on all the wires where I had them pigtailed, I got that same low voltage. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I have a new GP relay, maybe I'll try that one and see if it draws less.
Thanks for any help, and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!
Abe