View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Baum Tools in Florida offers timing sets for VW diesels that can be adapted to work on the Volvo motor.

Lots of old independent shops that used to work on VW diesels are happy to sell their old timing tools nowadays too, and some of those are better quality than what you can buy new. Anything by AST, Zelenda, Hazet, etc is good. There is a page on k-jet.org that shows all the tool numbers and pictures for the Volvo set you may want to refer to, then look on ebay if nothing else, anything listed as working for the old VW 1.6D can be adapted for the D24 family. The main differences as far as cam and pump timing are concerned are that the D24 dial indicator holder is a couple inches longer to extend the indicator out to where it doesn't interfere with the vac pump (so that you don't have to pull the pump off to time it), and the "ears" on the cam locking plate are spread a few mm further apart. Baum doesn't know much about the Volvo version but they sell tools listed for the Audi 2.0D which is the same in all relevant senses, you can easily modify the cam locking bar to work on the 2.0/D24/T by grinding the ears a bit, or zip the rear 2 valve cover studs out; and Baum I believe does sell the longer version of the dial holder which really is handy to have. The only other important part is the cam counterhold tool (#9995199) and the 9995201 wrench but those can be improvised relatively easily with generic tools...

I also have a set of tools that I have loaned out to members before if you need more than just the timing stuff (counterholds, etc....)