View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome to the board!

I remember there was a member here a few years ago with a silver '85 740 TD sedan in Florida -- Orlando, I think -- who had some injection pump problems. Perhaps you ended up with the same car?

Replacing the injection pump is relatively straightforward on one of these, although it does demand a few special tools and procedures for setting the timing. The Volvo greenbooks do a good job describing the procedure and are available online - good place to start if you haven't already explored them.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you run into any snags during the job. One trouble spot folks sometimes run into when doing this particular repair is setting TDC 180* out of phase when timing the injection pump, so watch out for that. A key rule of thumb is that these engines should start very easily when everything is right, but if something's not set up right, it won't start at all, and nothing you do will get it going until it's corrected. If it doesn't fire right up instantly once you get the new pump installed, timed, and primed, then go back and recheck your work to see what needs to be changed. Since you already know diesels, you probably know that you must not ever use starting fluid, at any time, for any reason, whatsoever. I've personally seen more one than D24 and D24T engine get ruined during this exact job -- a fuel pump replacement -- by frustrated mechanics who got the timing wrong, couldn't get the engine to start, and thought that just a whiff or two of starting fluid was what was needed. Don't go there!!! If it's not cooperating, or if you need advice on how to buy or borrow the special tools that are *required* in order to successfully install the pump and get the engine to run afterwards, just ask here and you'll find many members ready to help.