View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 AM

Default Eco modification for D6

HI Ereryone,

I'm not sure that this is the best topic to write my questions, but I hope that this is the most 'informationful' forum

Let me shortly introduce you. I'm a 37 year old Volvo fun from Hungary.
I have a 1982 244 D6, which engine I rebuilt (not me but my car mechanic for whom I paid). Mahle pistons and quality part to ensure to be able to serve me all life long

Beside it I have an eco hobby: I've been trying to decrease him (Bordeaux) fuel consumption as low as possible OR FURTHER MORE...

At this stage he consumes 4,6litre/100km at steady 80km/h. I would get bellow 4litres at steady 90km/h (presenty it's: 5,2L). All these results with winter tyres.

I have made a few modification on the car and use fuel saving products:
1. PCV jar
2. Very primitive hypnow system (I have to develop it)
3. Direct ('sport') air filter
4. Over inflated tyres (2.5bar)
5. 5w50 engine oil
6. Low viscosity transmission and rear axle oil
7. Front spoiler
8. 11litre fuel tank

I've heard 5 additional ways to reduce fuel consumtion and this is the point where I would like you to help me/give information:

9. Changing to VW 1.6td nozzles or even better the vw 1.9sd nozzles.
10. Delete rear end muffler.
11. Changing the present 3.73 rear axle to 3.31. Here in Hungary 3.31 axle as frequent as the white raven...
12. The other (maybe) possible solution to coupling an additional OD to a 5speed M47 transmission. In this way I would get a 6speed (5+OD) 30 year eco car
13. Modifying slightly the fuel injection time.

Please reflect for these latest 5 modifications whether they are true or not or has anyone had made similar mods before.

Many thanks in advance,

Best wishes,
EccoHomoD6