View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Sometimes pounding the socket into it for awhile will help it free up, like 10 minutes with a 3lb hammer.
If that doesn't work, drill the head till its a stud.
Given that most of the triple-square tools I have used have a fair amount of taper at the end, I bet you'll be going with option #2 above. Probably will only have to get it semi-close; there's a lot of torque on that fastener and when you get the metal thin enough it'll probably tear the head off the bolt without too much trouble. Make sure to take measures to control where the shavings go, though...

Just for future reference, would probably have been a good thing to make sure you were able to loosen all 14 bolts before removing any of them... not the greatest thing to have all of them out except for one which is still fully torqued. They should be loosened/removed starting at the outsides and moving towards the middle, so the situation you are in is not ideal. Probably won't cause you any trouble, more of a good-karma thing, and in any case I know it doesn't help to mention it now , but just worth noting for the sake of posterity...