Thread: D24T bad sounds
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Injectors with "GTD" nozzles set to 170

Same thing happened again, today,

On the way back home from a circa 100mile road trip. Regular driving, no issues no hard driving nothing extraordinary...then:
Suddenly I heard knocks and saw excessive smoke, luckily I was on my exit near home, only a mile away and made it home gently.

Soon after I got proper d24 tools together and loosened injector tops one by one and turns out this time it was cyl #4 injector acting very stupid.
I wanted the bad one out and have thecar running well again. This meant adding one of the "old" injectors in.

Hard lines got loosened, securing brackets got removed, 2hard lines turned away and #4 return lines removed then injector taken out.
New bosch seal/washer, old worn injectors out of trunk reopened (sealed in 987 layers of serurity foil, capped etc), i picked one injector, added copper antisieze and torqued it to 52 and reinstalled everything including new return lines. Bled the injectors all gently tightened all nuts and installed the important securing clamps in the hard fuel lines. Sprayed it all down so i could see leaks and errors. No issues.
***Watch water hoses when you use chemicals!

Hard knocking is gone, no injector sounds, smoke stopped.
Starts and runs fine, no leaks, no air in system. And runs good.

Facts:

2 of the 6 new injectors are "out" and went bad. In such a small time. Maybe only a few thousand miles apart . ... I'm left thinking what is going on?
And why.
Inspecting both of them i can see that the tip of the injector nozzles are off- centered. The gap at the perimeter is large on one side and nonexistent at the other side right across ...diagonally across ....on the same nozzle.

I just want a reliable set of injectors now, probably the stock ones but "new" , well set to fact spec 155.

Unless someone can explain this and suggest another plan.
Thanks. Picts i took are too big in size for this forum.

I will try reassembling those two failed injectors one day. Maybe