View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I used an air powered cut off wheel and went arount the seal very carefully.
OK, I have a Dremel tool with a diamond cutoff wheel that would do the same thing, maybe get fancy and chuck it up in the lathe and trim it with the Dremel while the lathe spins it. How much did you take off? 0.050"? more?

Quote:
It could be coming from the oil pump where it bolts to the block, the oil passages between the pump and block are sealed by a gasket. It could be the gasket is leaking, but I think you would see that.
Well, I would not bet on that. The whole front of the block was sticky with oil, and while I did give it a quick wipe, I confess I did not spend a lot of time on that; I've fixated on the seal. There could well have been a leak I missed. If it leaked at the top of the pump, it would run back down the face of the pump to the timing belt drive sprocket and have the same effect. There was a lot of fairly liquid oil on the face of the pump when I took the cover plate off.... Hmmmmm.

Quote:
You could check all the 10mm head bolts that hold the pump to the block. I just looked at my greenbook to refresh my memorie, and all that is there is the shoulder of the crank and the seal. I suppose it could be possible that the oil pump is leaking into that area due to wear and allow oil pressure to get behind the seal forcing oil out.
Hmmm. I would have thought that the seal was exposed to pump pressure, but the crank journal is well inboard of that in this design. Is this designed just to take the splash?

Quote:
One other thing to look for, is there a drain at the bottom of the housing behind the seal to allow oil to get back into the block? Seems like i remember there being something of that nature built in, though i may be thinking of a different engine. I would look at that closely as well and make sure its not plugged up.
Jason
There is such a drain, and I squirted it with PB blaster and it appeared to drain back to the block, but if I go back in I will take a closer look. When I first opened it up there was a lot of congealed crap and crud in the area behind the seal, which I removed with Qtips and pipe cleaners but after the first time it seemed pretty clean.

Well, making sure that the pump is not leaking seems a fruitful source of inquiry, and the idea about shortening the seal is also a good one. Perhaps I will pursue these this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to think about this and get back to me, sir!