View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Update

Twenty-six months have passed... so it is time to update this old thread on the old 1981 d24!
Soon after dealing with this "experimental project", I met the owner of a nice blue Volvo 1984 240 sedan who had enough of trying to start up the d24 "powerplant" lmao so he made very different plans for his brick and kicked the diesel out of it to make space for the 302 motor... so I bought the "unknown condition" d24 that they never managed to start up, unseen.
The resurrection of the 81 immediately seized but that time I didnt know it will take over 2yrs to write about it.

Well, revival of the unknown 1984 d24 that tricked so many owners by refusing to start up, seemed more interesting. Soon, a busy day of clean-ups, check-ups, fresh fluids, creating a minimalist style "engine harness", checking belts, crank and valves etc, flushing and retiming the pump and cleaning injectors, adding a low pressure pump for bleeding, it fired up and ran good.

In the following months then I took them both apart, all accessories came off, I cleaned, painted, refurbed and replaced parts of both engines only to learn "the d24 stuff" and to exercise main projects.

Reading the D24 Greenbook and spending long nights on this forum, reading a lot of good stuff from you guys,
I had a really good time.

I'm planning to finally remove the head of the 1981 this weekend. The edge of injector hole is broken off/ chipped off very badly. Cyl #6. Injector wont thread in since half or more is missing. Someone mistreated this motor or just hD bad luck while fixing. Or tinkering.

I wondered,
Theoretically, can a d24 start up and run with one injector not there? CrZy question.

The head needs to come off anyway but I was wondering. And I attempted to start it up. Everything was set to factory specs, good injectors, flushed and timed injection pump, all new belts and gaskets, new bosch glowplugs, valve adjustment, good cranking power and speed etc.. I had a feeling it would start.

These engines are kept for learning and exercising "the d24 stuff" ..."disassembly-assembly-then redo" type of fun, also great to learn confident&proper usage of the rare diesel-specific Volvo tools.

Pictures later.

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-15-2017 at 04:50 PM.