View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I've only ever seen one or two dead solenoids, one in a Volvo and one in a TDI I think... but they are visually the same in all VE pumps I've ever seen, you could likely use one from any old VW, TDI through 2003, etc. Definitely don't need to get one from Volvo. A 5.9 one probably works too, you could call a fuel injection shop (e.g. Seattle Injector) and they'd be able to tell you for sure.

If you want to get one quickly, you could bum one off a wrecking yard VW, or I have a dozen of them laying around that you'd be welcome to swing by and pick up...

As 745 said, this could also be a wiring issue -- with the plunger removed from the solenoid, the engine will run all the time regardless of whether the solenoid is energized or not, but the original reason it quit could have been because the solenoid lost 12V, not because it failed itself. If you still have the spring and plunger you took out, you could try reassembling the existing solenoid and testing it with a jumper (should hear it click when you apply/remove 12V from the terminal). Especially since this is a converted gasser and the wiring path is not 100% original, I'd be more inclined to start by searching for a wiring issue (possibly even just a blown fuse on whatever circuit you guys tapped for the pump power) than suspecting the a solenoid failure, which is relatively rare although it does happen.