View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 AM

I have to say - very well said. On the veg oil forum they laugh about these stories of Bio-diesel exploding engines, or killing cats! It is intended to be a direct replacement for pump diesel, and can be used in cars that straight veg oil cannot (common rail, direct injection, etc).

What Michaelovitch is saying can be true of Vegetable Oil, unheated (which is what I run, but I am fully aware of the risks and will be heating it).

This whole topic got me a little bit worried though, as I have been running blends of up to 90% veg oil unheated with 10% unleaded all through this winter (with temps down to -8C). And it did get me thinking... IF biodiesel CAN do this... what can Veg Oil do??

So, I (for fun... and we all know what a fun job it is...) took all 6 of my glowplugs out last night to look for any signs of burning/melting/disinterating and check they are all still "glowing".

The first 4 are NGK's and were fitted to the car when I bought it 12 months ago - don't know how long they've been in there. The last 2 are Beru ones that I fitted about 8 months ago. They all look perfect, and all glow absolutely fine:

Sorry about the crap picture, my phone takes awful pictures up close...! So, proof that even running unheated veg oil for the last 7 months including cold starts in winter temps doesn't eat glowplugs, or cause world hunger!