View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default suspiciously `cold :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
it will probably need every bit of help it can get to start
Such a correct,helpful advice on every little (important) detail! -20C is no joke, btw

It is always a lovely, heart-warmer thing when a well adjusted engine simply `explodes to life` without `hesitation`! No matter how cold it is.

I truly appreciate how nicely mine is put together with the right combination of passion&experience!!! Million thanks

Just to compare things, I made a video, it might help some to observe a problem(s) you have with cold-starting.
Here it is only -14Celsius now (6.8 Fahrenheit) (even colder in the mornings) but it is cold enough to make my idiot ignition wiring to behave stupid. When temps drop to sub zero (especially when under -5C), some (old) wires harden so starting gets tricky: I have to jiggle&twist a bit, one of the connections, near/behind the ignition switch.
I live with it as a Winter issue but my next little project is to get a new(er) ign switch and illuminate all this. Finding time for it is the hard part.

In the video you will see+hear my idiot wiring thing, but most importantly you`ll see that no cranking was needed at all to get the motor started. After two days, between -10-18C, very windy too. It`s pretty cold, so 15mins of idling at 1000RPM didn`t produce any interior heat at all. I `hit` the starter and immediately the car runs. I played some with the timing advance switch too, in order to hear RPM differences. Someone on the Forum said it before: `it sounds like car`s eating a bag of rocks` )

Obviously I do NOT use biodiesel this time of the year AND I have synthetic engine oil (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...uck_5W-40.aspx)
AND I have a strong battery, no air in fuel and all plugs work as they should AND there`s some compression left, I guess

Sorry about background noises in the video. Phone probably couldn`t handle the vibration, so motor mount is next. :`)
PS.: do not completely rule out a wiring issue. PS 2: starting fluid?--> no lubrication!+torturing glow plugs

Here`s the link to the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuTj...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.