View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 AM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I have used a ton of ether, but I'm trying to recover.
Really the only thing so far was a backfire once blew up my air filter housing. Cracked it so bad I had to get another one.
2 things, 1 as mentioned, ether + glow = bang
2 most people use way too much. if it knocks and kicks back, you used 2+ times more than you need.
Our IDI Ford dump ha started on ether for 6 years or so. While cranking, I spray ONE PUFF across not into the intake tube.

Fuel filter life is a big ? if you don't know what the POs burned for fuel. I have only see one or two that wold clog in less than 30 miles.

My first step wold be to swap the fuel lines coming off the fender with transparent plastic tube from the hardware store. Then you can be sure fuel is flowing, and see if supply, return. or both have air.
Then I'd verify the shutoff solenoid gets power, then I'd go with an external fuel supply.

Fast test on the glow plugs- take a jumper cable from battery + to the buss bar. if it doesn't spark, all 6 are toast. You can undo the little U wire under the vacuum pump to test in sets of 3.

If you've got a stick, pull starting is always an option, though I did rip my front tow hook in half with a Dodge. better to drag in gear and ease into it..