View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridgewagon View Post
Need the cold start device, doesn't want to fire up when it is 27F out, but if you zip-tie the lever all the way advanced it starts...
This is interesting to me. Popular experience is that the cold start advance is not capable of much advance to really help cold starting, and most of its effect comes from the idle speed boost portion of the mechanism. Many who have a failed cold start waxstat actuator disable the action (via turning the cable disengagement barrel to the "set timing" position, i.e. providing slack in the cable) to avoid problems of running all the time with advance/high idle, as the waxstat actuator almost always fails in the cold position. Me included, and has been starting right up in the recent cold snap.

What is the state of the altitude compensator? Should be receiving +12VDC, otherwise it can be adding additional advance.

Most cold start problems involve the glow plugs. Depending on the engine and environment, one bad GP cause hard starting, two bad GPs can make starting near impossible. If your GP relay is always stuck on, you may have damaged one or more GPs. I don't see why you can't upgrade the relay to the newer. If you do, get the newest version as it is reprogrammed to glow better for those problematical warm starts, and provide afterglow.

For parts, I have used autohauszaz.com, gowesty.com, fcpeuro.com, ipdusa.com, tasca, rockauto. We like the Monark injector nozzles, info somewhere in this forum. When changing the t-belt, it makes sense to replace the idler, and the IP belt at the same time. I think Volvo coldstart waxstat is currently cheaper than from Bosch. Try tasca for that.

Where are you located? Maybe another nearby member has timing tools they can loan you?