View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks George,
I am in Oakland, California.

I'm worried that maybe i have overheated my bottom-end too much, and that if i put it all together it will just be chugging oil. This actually happened with my last D24, which overheated and I replaced the headgasket, and it ate A QUART EVERY 100 MILES. Unfortunately there's no way to test my rings besides putting a new headgasket and driving a few miles.

Before it was overheated, it had been rebuilt about 60-70K ago by a good mechanic, but the head had been swapped with a used one after that. It ate about a quart every 2000 miles, which may have been from valve seals and not blow-by. It did not start super-easily but i think that was because of the valves or fuel system.

I am not looking for "performance" i'm looking for reliability, and adding the turbo is just necessary for driving around at altitude - the car is way too slow without it. I would be willing to just buy a turbo engine if one was available for a decent price nearby. It wouldn't be any more work than rebuilding the one I have.

Do you think i could tell the condition of the rings or bores by looking down from above? And how hard is it to add the turbo oil return line? Do you have an engine for sale?

thanks! -jake