View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

My $.02 is that, if it were my own time and money, there are other things I would probably spend it on first before looking at pre-lubers, etc. However, if done right, it certainly won't hurt anything and might help -- so if you like the idea, I doubt you'll get too much discouragement here. Member jbadberg recently added a nice setup to his motor in this thread here: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1175&page=2.

Me personally, I'd get the engine in the car and running the way it is first, and see what it does. If you find it has an oil pressure delay in the morning, like some of them do, and you're concerned about it, then adding on something to help it build pressure faster is something that can be done easily enough with the motor in the car, like the one above. However, if your motor already makes good quick oil pressure as-is, I think it's doubtful you'd see a return on your investment in terms of reducing long-term engine wear. The lube system is not really one of the typical trouble areas -- even when you take one apart with hundreds of thousands of miles on it, bearings typically look pretty good. Some of these motors last a long time, some of them don't, but almost always what kills them is something having to do with the cooling system, cylinder head, or timing belt. If none of those things happen and you keep synthetic oil in it, you can plan on driving it for a long time before any of the lubricated moving parts lets it down.