View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I wonder if you could make something work by building a hybrid pump from an Audi 5cyl TDI IP and a D24 6cyl camplate/head/rotor and adapting a VAG EDC ECU.... but you would have to find some extremely clever ways to give the ECU all the necessary sensor inputs (crank position, intake air temp and pressure, baro pressure, coolant temp, drive by wire throttle, injector needle lift or some other means of feedback timing control, etc, etc, etc) and get some very clever tuning done to make everything play happily and I don't even know if enough is interchangeable that the Frankenstein pump would be possible.

Or, run a second timing belt off the front of the crank so that things spin the right way, and put a VP44 on it? Those don't need a needle lift sensor either....

Benefits would certainly be nice -- temp-optimized timing, engine speed control, smoke control, etc. This is one of the reasons I can never understand MTDI conversions, IMO the TDI's electronic control is as much of a benefit as the DI is. But in this application where you would really have to reinvent the wheel to get there, agree that screwdriver adjustments pretty clearly win in the cost-benefit analysis...