View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 AM

I am very interested in this thread as I too planned to put a D24T into a Discovery about 4 years ago but I didn't do it. I reasoned that the power and torque curve of the D24T were not what the Disco needed with the stock ratios and that it would be a dog to drive so I backed out of the idea.

Instead I went to the UK and bought a 300tdi with 5 speed manual from a UK Disco as it is a drop in and very easy swap. Only had to change 2 engine mounts and everything else bolted in.

As an engine I like the D24T better but the 300tdi has more torque and lower rpm's. Been running it for about 2 years now and quite happy with it. About 23 mpg and will cruise 75-80 on the freeway, with a/c.

I assume you swapped the Volvo ZF 4HP22 bellhousing and torque convertor onto the Land Rover transmission? You would need to use the valve block and governor from the Volvo tranny too, to get the gear changes at the right rpm's. All fun stuff. Watch out for the governor sticking (have to drive round the block with the engine singing to get the first change)

I hope all goes well. Probably with a tuned up engine it will work nicely. I was just working with stock figures when I backed out of the idea.

Steve