View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

To my knowledge the diesel and gasser transmissions are identical with the exception of the increased input shaft OD on the diesel units courtesy of a sleeve that can be removed, as Steve mentioned. The gearing, as far as I am aware, is the same. The only other difference you may encounter is that some gasser Volvos use rubber flex discs in the driveline rather than universal joints. I encountered this when I converted my 1986 740 turbo gas wagon to diesel power using the drivetrain out of a 1985 745 TD -- I had to use the driveline out of the diesel wagon because the gasser driveline was set up for rubber guibos, and needed a different output flange on the transmission.

So worst case if you start with a gasser tranny you will need the input shaft sleeve and may also have to swap to a different output flange for use with a diesel driveline. If you have no M46 at all this may be a problem for you, but assuming you are starting with a broken but complete diesel tranny, you should have everything you need to make a gasser unit bolt right in.

Oh yeah, there is one other difference you may run into, not related to diesel vs gas..... as you may already know, late 200 series and all 700 series use an electronic speedo drive off the differential whereas earlier 200 series (through late 1980s?) used a mechanical cable drive off the tranny tailshaft housing.... so depending on what your new transmission came out of, you may need to do some work to make it compatible to run the speedo in your older 245.

Good luck!

George