View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Maybe it would make sense to move these updates into a new thread, idk. I like having everything in one thread for continuity.

Since the last post I got the coolant temp gauge working, it was the sensor. Tested by grounding sensor wire to block, gauge showed full hot. So that was an easy fix. Glow plug relay seems to function intermittently--sometimes it will stay on in pos 2 when I know the motor is warm, other times it goes out when the motor isn't dead cold. As long as the plugs aren't being energized while the car is running, I can live. The tachometer was just a bad contact to the cluster issue. My dad had a spare Saginaw PS pump, so no leaks whatsoever! At least not significant ones. The turbo inlet drips a little.

I re-did the timing to the enthusiast recommended 0.95mm (as opposed to greenbook california 1985 0.75) and the car runs quieter, smokes less and starts up more easily, which was unexpected. It actually seems a little lower on power compared to before, but maybe it was the extra noise that fooled me. I got the car registered and took a drive on the highway, and overall the car feels solid minus some squeaks in the suspension. Not bad for a $400 non-runner. I plan to do struts and shocks and replace all worn bushings in the suspension anyway so I can drive this every day if I want, or sell it.

The only real issue right now is the speedometer reading about 3x faster than the car is going, which messes with my tach and will become an issue when I start driving it more in terms of keeping on track of oil changes, etc. I've heard that a swapped rear end with a different number of teeth causes this issue. The car came with a spare (good, afaik) rear end so I may crack open the two and see how many teeth they have. I can tell how fast I'm going but I'd like to know how far I've driven it.