View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Owner/admin

Update 11-17-10: I put over 5k miles on the trans and found a couple things... With the lack of a decent pilot bearing, you get some higher rpm vibration through the trans (feel it in the shifter) from the imput shaft wanting to walk around. The shaft is supported pretty close with a bearing, however its not a super tight fit, as both bearings at the ends of the mainshaft are taper bearings. They are a little loose to accomidate expansion from heat, so the shaft can walk around a little. The diesel engine has a odd size hole for the pilot bearing. From doing some reading on turbo bricks, you can apparently use the stock mustang pilot in the redblock engine. For us, that is way to big, the OD of the factory mustang pilot is almost 1-1/2"! Our pilot hole in the crank is only .944" After calling a few bearing specialty places and comming up dry, I figured I was gonna have to do something so I went out and bought a mustang pilot bearing and figured worst case scenario I would have to machine it down somehow. Once I got the bearing I was pleasently suprised... The actual needle bearing is much smaller than the assembly, with the large size being made up by a big sleave. I measured the bearing itself and came up with about .942" Perfect! I pounded the bearing out of the sleave and did a test fit in the crank. Its not a light press fit like the stock bearing, but just slides in smoothly. No big deal, a small coating of JB weld will hold it in and I now have a pilot bearing that actually does something. On another note, filling the old bearing with grease wasn't a good idea, with the extra clearence between the shaft and the bearing, all the grease flew out and got all over the flywheel side of the clutch... D'oh!

The bearing I used came from Autozone and fits a mustang GT with the 5.0 engine (which is was the world class T-5 comes from). I told them 1987 model, but anywhere from '85 to '92 should be the same.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!