View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Jason, sorry to see you leave the fold but sounds like a cool new project! I've got a friend who is into Detroits and no question they sound pretty cool... Almost as good as a D24T, not quite, but almost. He has a 4-53 in an old 1930s wooden open-hull fishing dory and a 3-71 in a log skidder on an island in the San Juans. (You would like this guy, he also runs a lumber mill he put together powered by an aircooled VW motor.) I've been on the boat and listening to the blower whine is pretty fun. Though hopefully you're ready to put up with all the Detroit jokes -- what's the world's most efficient engine for converting fuel into smoke and noise?? Etc...

Around where I grew up most of the Detroits got used in marine applications and many were large multi-cylinder units, the ones that really make some music. If you are ever out in the Seattle area be sure to take a ride on the passenger ferry from downtown to Vashon Island. About a 20-minute trip and you get to listen to two 16V-71T's screaming the whole way. One time I talked the engineer into showing me around below deck while the thing was going full tilt across Elliott Bay. 32 cylinders, 4 turbos, I'm surprised I can still hear at all...

Good luck and hope you will still stop by around here from time.

Last edited by v8volvo; 10-13-2013 at 02:01 PM.