View Single Post
Old 05-06-2023, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Does the crank vibration damper have a sandwiched rubber interior? Best to verify that the electrolytic process has not loosened its adhesion.
Not that I can see. The damper looks to be a heavy piece of metal. I think that's all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Good job on the cleanup!
Hey thanks! It's relaxing, what can I say?

I ended up not going to the car today. I had yard work and other chores to do instead. The upshot is that I spent some time looking over the spare engine harness I have. It looks to be in pretty good shape. However I do not have a spare glow plug relay harness. So I suppose I could make one using the existing 4-pin connector that plugs into the GP relay.

The Greenbook shows the circuit diagram for the pre-heating system so I think I should be able to re-make the harness, and the interconnections between the temperature sensor (brown, BN), indicator lamp (orange, OR), fuse box (blue, BL), and the start inhibitor switch (blue-green, BL-GN). I do have spare larger gauge wires for the 12v input to battery positive and another as output to the glow plug bus bar (both red, R). There's also a ground (black, SB). I likely won't be able to get all of the same color wiring as factory. I suppose I could go to a few junkyards to find similar wiring colors, if I really wanted to.

My question is: can I de-pin the wires in the 4-pin glow plug relay connector, so that I can re-use the connector? I don't have the connector here to examine it myself.

-----

It's now the next day and I've been doing some research. According to Dave Barton's page (emphasis mine): "PN VE5632: This is an optional repair section that I have made available to repair a damaged harness end going to the Glow Plug Relay. This section is not included in a new replacement engine harness, but It can be added to this harness order if needed. It is often a problem on this car model. The new repair section can be seen in the harness photo. Leads are 12 inches and wire colors are: 1. Blue, 2. Blue/Green, 3. Brown, 4. Orange. (Limited supply. This plug is no longer being made by Volvo)".

https://www.prancingmoose.com/volvoh...760turbodiesel

So now I'm really hoping that the 4-pin plug can be de-pinned.

Thanks!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Last edited by jbg; 05-07-2023 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added Dave Baron quote