Thread: Cooling issues
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecklebone View Post
Only overheats when going up a the hill for about 30 min. If i turn on the heater core for the cabin, that helps a bit.
I just need to suck out more heat.
The cooling runs are longer in the pinz than a volvo.
Anyone every insall an auxiliar pump?
If i did that and mounted a larger fan up next to the radiator, i think id be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecklebone View Post
Today I drove up to the mountains and after climbing 3000 feet my coolant temp went through the roof and boiled over. I took out my belt driven fan for an electric one. Perhaps that is contributing.

Headed down hill, mostly idling, the engine wasn't warm enough to heat the cab.

Seems odd I can't cool enough when under full load and can't keep heat when idling.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a thermostat that doesn't close the bypass passage in the 'wide open' position, unless your whole radiator and lower hose were both scalding hot. Did you test that stat prior to install? How may times has it been overheated? It can harm them. I might be tempted to pull it out and measure protrusion of the blocking side, and maybe pin the thing open and go for a drive.

Seat o the pants dyno rates my belt fan at about -5 HP when it engages...might take a pretty big electric to duplicate.

Not quite an aux pump, but I did install an aux (honda) radiator on the belly of a 309D Mercedes bus i was working on, and it helped.

If you don't have any type of 'lip spoiler' around the bottom of the rad, fab up some ricyness.

Oh, and what is the track recorder there?