View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Wait until you see how a Volvo transmission shifts... if you are used to VW gearboxes you will think you've died and gone to heaven.

Back in the '80s, whenever auto magazines would give awards to automakers in various categories (best handling, best engine, etc), Volvos would always win for "best transmission." The M46 is one of the sweetest shifting gearboxes out there.

Just make sure you get a proper pilot bearing when you put it in. They are nearly impossible to find. The one IMC sells is an open needle bearing without a grease seal, so guaranteed to fail early. OEM Volvo ones had a seal, but they are NLA. I have one of the last remaining Volvo ones and have been meaning to take down it to a bearing supplier and get them to match up one that will work and has a seal. You might want to try doing something similar. You don't want to have to pull the tranny back out in a couple years due to a seized bearing.

I have only known of two D24/D24Ts, out of about 15 I've driven in the past couple years, that did NOT have seized/fragged pilot bearings. It is the weak link in the drivetrain in terms of longevity. One of my own cars is off the road right now due to a seized bearing. There are ways around the issue but you do want to be sure to find some solution that is better than getting a dry bearing from IMC/worldpac...