View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan1227 View Post
I put in clear fuel lines and verified no air tank to fiilter.
Good start (no pun intended). Just as important: What did you see from the IP return line?

Quote:
But I noticed that when it stalled, air came from the pump BACK toward the filter housing. So I figured maybe a leaky shaft seal.
Yes, that is a good guess, other than that it could be a loose (fuel supply) hose connection somewhere between the IP body and fuel filter. Don't forget the somewhat common occurrance of an extra of the (small) rubber square-cut sealing o-ring between the fuel filter and its housing.

Quote:
I have a new shaft seal. Other seals? Where can I get them, it is a Bosch VE1394L-1 pump. Replace glow plugs 5 & 6? Clean all injectors? Get the pump bench tested? Anything else? thanks, Bill in AZ
Since you already have it, might as well install the new shaft seal. Take care not to scratch the shaft itself. AND careful removing the cogged pulley for access. Don't let it fly off the shaft, hit the ground and crack off a piece! Was the IP leaking fuel from anywhere? You can get the seal kit easily from a local Bosch distributor, they can get most any part if you give them the numbers on the side of the IP.

Also, since the IP is out, now is the time to replace GPs #5 and 6. Then test the old ones and keep them for spares if they check OK. Test the other 4 now also, just to verify they are not part of your problem.

From your supplied list of symptoms, it doesn't look like injector problems (yet).

Now, the million dollar question: How are you going to time it after replacing the IP?

WAIT! Is this the same car as from this post:
Intermittent failure to start

And/or this one?
Hi from Arizona - trying to bring one back

And/or this one?
bubbling injector

Maybe even post #6 from this thread?
Replaced the Fuel Filter, now it wont start

Sorry, now I'm just confused