View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Default Turbo Improvements?

G'Day All,

I've been following this Forum for some time and gained some interesting insight into the D24TIC engine, but it's come to the time when I need to start rebuilding the motor and as I haven't got a turbo at present (it was missing off the motor) I have the opportunity to either go standard or upgrade.

Now first off I should say that I DON'T have a Volvo, rather an Austrian 718 Steyr Puch Pinzgauer. These "second generation" Pinzgauers used the VW D24T or TIC motor from 1985 to early 2000 after which time the VW 2.5 5 cylinder was fitted.

My 718 has a D24TIC which originally had a Garret 454007-1 T3 (VW 072145703B) fitted.

My options are to buy an old T3 of the same type and rebuild it (or buy a refurbed unit), fit a upgraded unit (a T4 possibly, but this is the main area that I'm open to suggestions) or there is a company in Europe selling Variable Geometry Turbo's for the vehicle (a pretty expensive option I'm guessing).....I'm unsure what the best options are given that I want a reliable, and relatively economical vehicle fuel wise (it will be used for lond distance touring).

My knowledge of both diesels and turbo's (never having rebuilt vehicles with either before...air-cooled petrols are my forte 8-)) is minimal so I though you guys who obviously know far more about thses things than I do might be able to give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance.